2014 Record: 90-72
- Jason Heyward: Outfield
- Mark Reynolds: First Base/Third Base
- Jordan Walden: Relief Pitcher
- Shelby Miller: Starting Pitcher
- Pat Neshek: Relief Pitcher
- Justin Masterson: Starting Pitcher
- Daniel Descalso: Second Base
- Marco Gonzales: Starting Pitcher, age 23
- Alex Reyes: Starting Pitcher, age 20
- Rob Kaminsky: Starting Pitcher, age 20
The Cardinals were quiet during the offseason; their lone significant transaction trading Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins for Jason Heyward and Jordan Walden. St. Louis is seemingly good every year and are probably going to be good again. While some consider Jason Heyward a disappointment, he is still one of the best all around outfielders.
Carlos Martinez should be able to replace Shelby Miller and Michael Wacha is healthy to start the year. The Cards biggest concern this season is the health of the starting rotation. Adam Wainwright hurt his abdomen already, John Lackey is 36 and has a history of injury, and Michael Wacha missed a big portion of last year. If their rotation doesn’t stay healthy it will be difficult for the Cardinals to repeat as NL Central champs.
Player to Watch: Matt Holliday
Holliday’s production dropped off quite a bit last year and he is only getting older. He was still an above average hitter but he might not be a middle of the order guy much longer.